[Sca-cooks] MY new herb garden...[long, sorry <g>]

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Jun 8 21:45:39 PDT 2002

Hi, Philippa....
Sorry to hear about your aunt!
I've got _Brother Cadfael's Herb Garden, and I enjoy it primarily as a
table-top, looks-cool book.  And, being a huge fan of the series, I
enjoy the tie-ins to the specific books.  It's a nice addition to my
seriously-overcrowded bookshelves--decently organized, good pixs,
reasonable info, that sort of thing.  Not a *must* have, but a good
find, if you can get it for a reasonable cost, as I did.
If all goes well this summer, I'll have a chance to travel to England,
and this garden is on my list of places to visit.  I'll take pix, of
course, if it's allowed <g>.
I'm without the services of a master gardener, but I, too, have a little
herb garden in pots on my front porch for the very first time this
year.  I have not-enough basil, not-enough lavender (can't remember
which kind without going outside and peering at the little identifying
stick, but it's a variety that can tolerate Montana weather), several
varieties of thyme (which is going crazy), enough oregano to sink Italy
*and* Greece, some mints, and 3 different kinds of sages.  Several
rosemary plants (love that stuff).  Also a savory plant, and a french
tarragon plant.  And a bunch of different marigolds, although not the
eating kind, just the looking kind.  (oh, and Curye [my cat] has just
reminded me of the catnip plant).
I hope to cook with some of my jungle <g> (fresh salad with bits of *my*
herbs, oh yummmmm), and harvest the rest for gifties (dried herb
mixtures, oils, vinegars, etc.) for the next holiday season.  I'm pretty
much sticking to culinary herbs (and some that are useful in cosmetic
preparations like soaps) because of room, but I have several friends who
enjoy adding herbs with more medicinal uses to their gardens.
If it goes well, I hope to put in a raised bed next year, but just a
little one (I've got a teensy proto-yard and not much privacy).  The
landlord's okay with it, but they'll be digging everything in creation
up in my trailer court this summer and putting in sewer lines (major
ugh!).  One of these years, maybe I'll have a real job, and a real
income that could support a mortgage, and I'll be able to have a *whole
yard all to myself!* Then, I could have fruit trees, and squash plants,
and tomatoes, and beans, and *lots* of raspberry canes.  And a lavender
hedge (I love the stuff <g>).
--Maire, drinking tea and fresh shortbread cookies at the Rock, because
it's too d at mned cold in MT (snow advisories, thankyouverymuch ;-(
).....Anybody care to join me? Bring your own tea blend, afghan, and
reading material.  Cats are optional, but available (and this being *my*
Rock fantasy, they're all allergen free)......