[Sca-cooks] Recipe for fried avocado from Trudy's North Star

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 13:29:07 PDT 2002

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Given the 2 to 3 month voyage from the New World,
> if you were an innkeeper
> > gifted with avocados, they would probably be
> unpalatable mush which you
> > would throw in the garbage.  In my opinion,
> outside of the tropical New
> > World, avocados were most likely found in
> botanical gardens and were rarely
> > eaten.
>
> I'm just proposing a "what if?" exercise.  It could
> happen;  avocados can keep
> for a couple of months under refrigeration, what
> about in cold sea water?

A couple of months?  From experience, a refrigerated
avocado is inedible one month after picking,
refrigerated or not.

I don't mind your fantasy, but a better one would be
that said sailor gave you an avocado, which as Sieggy
said was a black inedible mess, which you threw into
the middens.  The seed of said avocado, being watered
and fertilized in said middens began to sprout and
grow into a tree.  You had to move your middens any
way, so you allowed this mysterious tree to grow.
Years later you began to notice that fruit was growing
on the tree, so you kept checking the fruit, waiting
for it to soften so you could taste it.  But it never
softened as you expected.  You picked a couple of the
fruit and cut into one, but it was hard and tasted
bad.  After a week off the tree, you noticed that the
fruit was soft.  Upon tasting it, you found it
delicious and spread like butter.  Only marginally
based in reality, but enough to make it seem vaguely
plausible.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.