[Sca-cooks] Food Allergies

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Tue Jun 11 18:52:00 PDT 2002

> That is not entirely true, Phlip!
>
> I am allergic to capsicom peppers.  I have developed
> this allergy recently and it isn't due to any lack of
> enzymes.  Yes, my first symptoms are diarrhea, but if
> I persist on eating them, I then develop a rash and
> then blisters on my legs.  I have seen an allergist.
> He says that I have an allergy.  So be careful what
> you say.  You are spreading misinformation.

Phlip *IS* correct. It's the rash that's the tip-off in your case. Allergies
are, by definition, an immune response. Diarrhea alone is almost never due
to true allergy. True "type IV hypersensitivity reactions" (allergies to
layfolks) are marked by rashes, and in severe cases, swelling of various
body parts, including the larynx (windpipe), which makes it awfully
difficult to breathe. Laryngeal edema due to allergy is usually very rapid
in onset, and represents a subclass of allergy called "anaphylactic
reaction"; if the syndrome includes dropping blood pressure, it's called
"anaphylactic shock".

We medical people are persistently amused by folks who mistake side effects
for allergies - my favorites are "I can't take Benadryl, it makes me sleepy"
and "I can't take Prednisone, it makes my face all puffy" - these are the
two medications we use to TREAT allergic reactions, and the symptom
described in each case is an expected side effect.

Allergies can be FATAL, folks. Side effects and digestive reactions rarely
are.

Avraham

Avraham haRofeh of Northpass
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD) <-- I hate to bring it up... but please note
the degree.
OBTag: There's so much to say but your eyes keep interrupting me.