[Sca-cooks] Romanian period recipes

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jun 11 21:29:55 PDT 2002

There's this new one ---

Metamorphosis Transylvaniae
by BARON PETER APHOR (1676-1752)
This is one of the literary memoirs written by
 Transylvanian aristocrats in the late 17th and
early 18th centuries.  not a memoir in the usual
 sense so much a record of a
vanishing way of that the life author had enjoyed
 in his youth, and had been told of by his elders.
Apor focuses on the world he knew - upper class
 society, the company of Princes and Counts.
He gives highly detailed accounts of Transylvanian
 dress, feasts, rituals, ceremonials, travelling,
weddings, funerals and other social functions that
 are unrivalled for gusto, humour and colour.

You should broaden your searches out and look
for items in Balkan cookery, Ottoman, etc.
I'll do some more looking on Wednesday...
You are probably being too specific in the searches,
not that there is a lot out there... and in terms
of translated items with documented period recipes...???

You might take a look at The Ottoman Kitchen:
 Modern Recipes from Turkey, Greece, the
 Balkans, Lebanon, and Syria. Sarah Woodward
for an overview.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Patrick Levesque wrote:snipped