[Sca-cooks] oop - artichokes, well - maybe in period

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Wed Jun 12 08:43:19 PDT 2002

> Makes me wonder what would happen to the average person if they
> exchewed any form of prepared food and subsisted entirely on fresh
> produce, non-hormone/battery produced meats, dairy and egg, and
> ground their own grains and the like - no sugar other than honey,
> kosher salt, herbs and spices all chosen for balance.

> margali

The average person?  They'd probably starve.  Such a diet is
financially out of reach for most people in modern society.  Take out
the big chuck of the wage-earning day they'll spend grinding their own
grain & they can afford even less.

I daresay there are only two kinds of people who can eat this way:

1) Third worlders who spend their entire day doing so (such as people
who tend rice paddies, cattle, fish and fowl).  The lifespan they gain
by eating right is shortened right back again by their poor living
conditions.

2) People so rich they can pay someone else to spend _their_ entire
day getting such wonderful food ready.

It's just a theory, but I'd say prepared food and restaurants are what
enabled people to specialize and do something besides subsistence
farming.  If your entire day isn't spent getting food to keep yourself
alive, you can do a lot of other things like city-building and
technological development.

And if there are others willing to spend the day preparing food for
you (farmers, bakers, butchers), careers start to develop for both
the producers & the consumers.  Thus arises the need for a monetary
system.  Because if you can give up small lumps of metal for your
daily bread instead of half your day, you have Free Time for art and
music and traditions and oops -- you just made a culture.

Just my uninformed opinion,