[Sca-cooks] oop - artichokes, well - maybe in period

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Thu Jun 13 07:23:16 PDT 2002

>> Compared to a rice paddy worker, not much.  Right, that was kinda
>> my point.  I have all this free time because I have money to trade
>> for convenient food and don't have to spend my day directly
>> procuring said food.

> Yeah, but what do you do to get that money?  Your job certainly
> doesn't count as free time.  I would say it's probably more than the
> equivalent of the time the rice paddy worker spends in the fields.
> Brangwayna Morgan

True enough, wise Brangwayna.  But this, too, was my precisely what I
was getting at.  I was trying to express the thought that while I put
in roughly as much work as our Archetypal Rice Paddy Worker (let's
call him Phan, shall we? :), it's _different_ work.  I can be a Unix
systems administrator for an ISP and still eat because Phan's
descendants, bless them, bust butt as large-scale rice growers in
California.  Because they specialized as providers, I'm free to build
and maintain email servers, be a consumer, and not worry about having
to club & skin something for my next meal (which I occasionally do
anyway).

I was just toying with the idea that a lack of prepared food would
make it necessary to you shift your daily focus less toward your
career and more toward food-getting.  It seems I took the premise much
further than Margali's original question intended because I was
considering prepared food as raw pork chops under plastic which I
didn't have kill, a sack of potatoes I didn't have to dig & wash, a
20lb bag of rice which represents a huge amount of work, not just
microwave burritos & bottled Starbucks Frappacino.

I probably should've just kept my cake-hole shut.  :)

However, I will be thanking Phan's descendants as I lunch upon a bowl
of steamed Daipoong rice with Sriracha sauce (Shark brand), drizzled
with sesame oil.  Maybe some radish kimchee.  Mmmm, treasures of the
East.