[Sca-cooks] OOP Query

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 19 10:19:09 PDT 2002

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
> >I think I have to mostly agree with Adamantius here- there really is no
> >parallel between Matt Groening's work and the pap put out by the Hanna
> >Barbera staff.
>
> I think there will be special circle reserved for William Hanna and
> Joseph Barbera in Animator's Hell, and I don't even care that it's
> been alleged that I resemble one of their characters. That show was
> much better when it was "The Honeymooners"... ;-)

I must confess, I had an inside view for a semester of internship in the audio
department there.  It was 1980, and they were having a re-naissance of the
older sci-fi cartoons of the 60's.  Not that sci-fi was any more popular than
it had been, but although violence against living characters was now forbidden,
you could still punch and smash =robots=.

> >  As much as I think the Simpsons are a waste of 22 minutes
> >and three commercial breaks,

Hey now, it has some cultural value.
1.  It carries on the early cartoon practice of teasing cultural icons and
celebrities.
2.  It now holds the record for longest-running half-hour situation comedy,
animated or otherwise.
3.  It provides employment for SCA people in my barony.  Yup, we got animators.

> If I can't get WB, I'll accept Heckle and Jekyll as a pretty good
> substitute, or the early Tom and Jerry.

Define "early".  Pre-Chuck Jones?  Pre-1980?  I must admit, script typing for
the latter-day Tom & Jerry was a quick piece of work, just a couple of
<screams!> and <gasps!> and that was all.

> But then, I always wanted a
> spin-off, half-hour series devoted entirely to Itchy and Scratchy,
> too... [Itchy and Scratchy is the psychopathically violent
> cat-and-mouse cartoon the Simpson kids are frequently seen watching;
> kind of their version of Terence and Philip, which serves the same
> function on "South Park"...]

Which proves the point, they are spoofing the same crumby limited-animation
world that you also decry.

BTW, ever watch the Cartoon Network's Sunday evening lineup, including a very
good history program "Toon Heads"?  You probably could write this stuff but it
is quite well presented.

> Or any of the Jay Ward type stuff, especially Hoppity Hooper and His
> Long-Lost Uncle Waldo, who is of an entirely different genus, order
> and family from his "nephew", Hoppity... If it has Hans Conreid doing
> voices, it is quality.

Don't you remember?  "Uncle" Waldo was a shady con man type and found a comfy
home for himself and Fillmore the Bear at Hoppity's pad [so to speak] by
convincing Hoppity that they were long lost relatives.

Ol' Hans was not above working for the paycheck.  You can't tell me that
everything he did was such high quality.  Wally Walrus, a walking age and
ethnic joke in Woody Woodpecker.   The Rankin-Bass "Hobbit" and a lot of the
gack he did in the last decade of his life.   Oh go look for yourself,
<http://us.imdb.com/Name?Conried,+Hans>

Aurore adds:

>Since we're talking about what our kids are watching, mine got me baffled.  He
loves >watching Starship Troopers, MIB, and Scooby-Doo and Zombie Island, but
he refuses >to watch Independence Day.  And is only 6 yrs old.  He's a big
Scooby fun.  Go figure.

Now that's interesting.  Clearly he has a handle on the notion that animation
is fun make-believe but life action is [or at least might be] real.  This is
not a kid who will jump off the roof emulating Wile E. Coyote [super genius].

Brandu, before he publishes a list that should make all us animation snobs
shiver with post-traumatic syndrome comments:

>IIRC, it was not Hanna and Barbera that were responsible for the animation
>on Scooby doo, it was Iwao Takamoto...

Who went on to commit more of such atrocities at the late Filmation Studios.
Filmation management survivors seem to have wound up mainly at DIC, I don't
know where the animators when aside from quiet retirement.

Selene, Caid, with Too Much Information about animation.