[Sca-cooks] Is this really what it sounds like?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jun 19 17:25:33 PDT 2002

There's also the meaning where a faggot
was "With special reference to the practice of burning heretics alive,
esp. in phrase
fire and faggot;
to fry a faggot, to be burnt alive; also,"
and
"The embroidered figure of a faggot, which heretics who had recanted
were obliged to wear on their sleeve, as an emblem of what they had
merited."

OED lists the sausage as late--
Definition 5 says See quot. 1851.)
1851 Mayhew Lond. Labour II. 227 He..made his supper..on `fagots'. This
preparation..is a sort of cake, roll or ball..made of chopped liver and
lights, mixed with gravy, and wrapped in pieces of pig's caul.
1858 Sala Journ. due North 308 The curious viands known in cheap
pork-butchery..as Faggots.
1881 in Oxford Gloss. Supp.

That would make them very properly Victorian...

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis