[Sca-cooks] cheese of Aragon

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 20 21:22:59 PDT 2002

On 20 Jun 2002, at 16:32, Susan Browning wrote:

> I am looking at a Catalan recipe for an eggplant casserole, and it
> specifies cheese of Aragon.  Any ideas as to which type of cheese
> would work for this recipe?
>
> Eleanor d'Aubrecicourt

This question has come up before on the list.  It was answered by Master
Thomas, who has done *extensive* research with the Catalan manuscripts.
His answer was:

Queso de Aragon is also known as Queso Tronchon. It definitely dates to
the Middle Ages. It was originally a goat cheese, but is now made from a
blend of cow and goat milk. It is served fresh or slightly aged, it comes from
a ring mold with a depression in the middle, sort of a like a gelatine mold or
bundt pan, but the center depression doesn't go all the way through. If you
can't get it locally, try mail-order from a Spanish food store like
www.tienda.com. If you want more info, let me know.
Thomas Longshanks

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net