[Sca-cooks] BASIL OIL

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jun 21 08:18:32 PDT 2002

> Muiredach is absolutely correct. Most authorities recommend not making more
> than you can use up in a week or so, and not keeping any herbed oil, even in
> the refrigerator, for more than three weeks or so.

The USDA, notably cautious, suggests that you prepare infused oil by heat
infusion, keep refrigerated and use within 24 hours.

Here on the cooks list I can admit that I have mixed feelings about this:
unless there are botulism spores on the plant, the infused oil is
perfectly safe. However, the problem is that botulism really doesn't make
things taste or smell 'off', and it will kill you pretty fast. So, there's
a small chance it will be deadly, but if you hit that chance, it's like
losing at Russian Roulette only less comfortable.

Anyone ever read Alisa Craig's _A Pint of Murder_ where a jar of green
beans is the murder weapon?

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."