[Sca-cooks] Wine names

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Jun 24 05:48:02 PDT 2002

At 07:15 AM 6/24/02 -0400, you wrote:
>> >extra Shiraz, dahling. I like the stuff.
>>
>> How do american's pronounce it? 'Sch-razz" or 'Syr-rah'?
>
>Americans are generally dopey. Those who know, of course, say "Syrah"... but
>most American labels SPELL it "Syrah" for the damnfools who don't know
>better.
>
>Avraham

Oooh... thank you for the morning dope-slap... ;-)

Frankly, my dear, like many interesting words of foreign origin, I have
never heard this *pronounced* but by other ignorant Americans. Even my
sweetie, who knows more about these things that anyone has a right to know,
has never said it aloud in my presence. So- how am I supposed to know what
is correct, especially since it is from Australia and I haven't a clue as
to the linguistic origins of the word?

Damnfool 'Lainie
(no, I haven't had any tea yet.)