[Sca-cooks] Wine names

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 24 07:23:57 PDT 2002

To be honest, I was under the impression that Shiraz and Syrah were two
different types of red wine.  However, I just did a search on Google, and
found the following:

Syrah/Shiraz. This grape is known as Syrah in France and Shiraz in
Australia. In the United States, it can appear under either name...

It didn't give any clue as to pronounciation, but again, I guess I'm one of
those uneducated Americans...I have always pronounced Shiraz as Shi-raz,
with a soft i and emphasis on the last syllable, and Syrah as Si-rah, again
with a soft i and emphasis on the last syllable.

Kiri