[Sca-cooks] Pickling with Whey

Jane/Bj Tremaine vikinglord at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 24 19:52:09 PDT 2002

I tried it.  I friend of mine had a small oaken cask and we put beef in it
with  a lot of whey. (Man do heath food stores look at you weird when you
ask for 2 quarts of fresh not dried whey.) We buried it in a part of my yard
that the sun never shines on. We also put one in my acheint fridge under the
cooling pipes.  Our train of thought was it gets really cold up there and
the permafrost may have had something to do with it all.

Well my roommate said the Ice Cream in the achient fridge was spoiled.  And
the neghbors dog dug up and ate the other one.  The dog survived, the cask
did not.

If I ever find another oak cask that small that I can offord I'll try it
again.  A friend on mine suggested crockery.  By the way we did seal the
inside of the cask with bees wax, and the lid.

Jana