[Sca-cooks] Wine names

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jun 25 04:28:47 PDT 2002

Also sprach vongraph:
><< is is common knowledge that if you say any american word loud enough and
>often enough any of them forginers should be able to understand it. Vice
>versa if you have any forgien word on a bottle of wine it must be good
>wine:)
>I gues the best reasonis that if your going to drink wines that orginate in
>different countries you could at least learn enough of the language to
>pronunce the name correctly:) Even a small education in forgein languages
>permits youto proonounce the name of most things correctly. Or is that
>considered a cosmoplotian attitude?
>
>ELric

Definitely cosmoplotian! ;-) And exactly how many French-speakers
learned a smattering of Persian before making a determination as to
how the name of this grape should be pronounced? Would I need both
hands to count them?

Yeah, I'll go with the theory that Americans are somewhat more
ignorant of languages other than their own, but attributing this to
anything other than simple necessity (or lack thereof) is probably a
mistake.

I've just been reading hundreds of pages by Michael Moore on the
subject of how awful Americans are, and my lack of appropriate guilt
feelings is really quite astonishing for a Caucasian male who, in
some unspecified way, apparently once owned slaves without knowing
it...

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER