[Sca-cooks] (OT) Space Food Sticks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 26 06:09:03 PDT 2002

Also sprach Nambeanntan at aol.com:
>  >  Soon, their journey to the South side shall be complete . . . today, the
>>  moon pies, tomorrow the boiled peanuts, sometime next week, grits! (though
>>  it shall be disguised as polenta so as to fool the effete, pretentious
>>  nor'eastern snobs . . .)

Speaking as a nor'eastern snob, I can confidently say that grits
aren't ever disguised as polenta. Mush, OTOH...

(OB Tangent: In Hal Roach's "Our Gang" comedies of the 1930's, a
great deal of the plotlines feature mush in one way or another. The
prop mush used for the films looks more like oatmeal to me. Is there
any possibility or likelihood that something other than cornmeal is
being referred to? Is mush a generic term for a hot cereal, like
farina, or does it mean different things to different people, or did
they simply use oatmeal because it photographed better?)

>  >

>Watch it Sig.....actually I was southern before I moved down to the 27
>parallel.:)
>In Brooklyn moon pies were called scooter pies.

Yup.

>   And nuthin betta than a mess
>o greens (escarole, salt pork and beans) on a fall day. Think I'll check the
>florithingy for greens.  Sig could you add greens to your tavern menu?

Greens, BTW, may be considered a Southern specialty, but go at least
as far back in the history of the cuisines of the Northern US (at
least the nor'eastern snob market, anyway) as they do in the South.
One might make an argument for the exclusivity of collard greens as a
Southern thang, but literature, songs, and extant newspaper copy all
identify bacon and greens (presumably mustards and turnip-type
greens, possibly kale) as specialties of both Philadelphia and New
York. See Weaver's "America Eats" for details...

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER