[Sca-cooks] (OOP) Declawing

Jeff Gedney Gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Jun 26 09:24:53 PDT 2002

IMHO, Removing a cats claws is mean, whatever the Method.
I am also pretty sure it injures the psyche of the cat.
I have seen such cats and they do not integrate well with
other cats.
And how can they defend themselves if they accidentally
get out, and are bullied by strays? (My cats get out at
least once a summer despite my best efforts to keep them
as "inside cats" and then they get into fights with the
neighborhood strays)

I have trained my cats to accept a clipping with toenail
clippers (hold em sideways so they don't twist the cats
digits, that hurts, and they wont trust the process
afterwards).
I do it every two weeks or so.

The still have claws they can scratch with, and so they
do not feel defenseless and unable to fend for themselves.
And they are more tempted to use the scratching posts
than the furniture, because it is more effective on the
blunted claws.
Otherwise the claws grow so long and sharp that they
hurt just jumping in your lap, to get petted.

Brandu