[Sca-cooks] A Noble Book of Royal Feasts

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jun 27 10:02:17 PDT 2002

This really isn't news. Although maybe to the newspaper
reading public. The title really should be
This is the Boke of Cokery.
It doesn't carry a title page and that is the A1r wording.
This is not the same work as Napier; although they share a
common source, wording in the recipes between Napier and
this Boke varies...
I did a full run down on this book in
my session on Early English Printed Cookbooks that was given
at CooksCon in January--- Qualye published pictures of it
in Old CookBooks decades ago and Oxford knew all about
it in 1913 when he did his bibliography. Get a copy
of the proceedings for a full run down of my work with it.
See the Serve It Forth webpage for information on the
proccedings. They are coming out next month.

The work has been available since 1982 on UMI microfilm and
also it's up on EEBO. This version is however virtually
unreadable in places due to print show through. I managed
last year to get another company's microfilm version and it is readable.
But you have to willing to pay $100  and order from England to get it.
You cannot however do much with the copy as it is a restricted copy
and carries such a warning on it. There
looks as though there will be a new edition within the next
two years. Having been in communication with the editor and the
archivist at Longleat, I should be able to share more
details in a few weeks.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Christina L Biles wrote:

> Wonder if we can get copies?
> -Magdalena
>
> ews - How to feed a king - first, splatte your pyke.
>                      By Sarah Womack.
snipped---