[Sca-cooks] RE: Hotel interested in period food

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 30 16:55:45 PDT 2002

>Also sprach Sudden Service #5:
>>Hej!
>>     This sounds great!  I did a demo for a convention at a hotel in NH
>>several years ago & after talking to the chef for a couple of hours about
>>period food he decided to serve New England Lobster boil (Lobster,
>>potatoes,
>>corn, ect.).
>>     I like the Almond Tart from "Eating Shakespeare" (although I add a
>>little more cinnamon & ginger than is called for & I use the Polander All
>>Fruit instead of raspberry jam).
>>Pax,
>>Olaf of Trollhiemsfjord
>
>Yeah, I kind of see your point. Much as it would thrill me for
>Gunthar's sake, and for that of our game, to see period food done by
>hotel food service, what I expect any consultant, professional or
>otherwise, on period food will be up against is a strong concern for
>cost, and an assumption on the part of the chef that his aesthetic
>sense is more developed than anybody else's, and that this is in fact
>more important than the historical aspects, even for a group of
>consumers who are members of a group whose stated purpose involves
>the study of history.
>
>I'm not saying this'll be a washout. I hope it's a triumph. But
>Gunthar? Maybe you should reserve about 10-15% of your emotional
>involvement with the project, to kind of protect yourself if it turns
>out like that FoodTV thing that happened here a year or so ago...
>
>For those new to this list, this was a series which gave guests
>writing in to the show their "dream meals", in this particular case a
>medieval feast, and some SCAdians were involved in providing
>ambience. It was, I'm told, a fine meal, but even after being given a
>lot of period recipes, the chef essentially created his own menu
>based to little or no extent on historical cuisines. At least not
>ones from the SCA's period.
>
>I guess I'm saying, expect the worst, hope for the best. Most things
>end up somewhere in between.
>
>Adamantius

...um..E+cuse me Master A...Perhaps if the hotel and chef were presented
with a few of our "money-making" or at least, not losing, menu's and
Per-Price-Head for the feast, they may be more willing to forego the whole
"giant profit" for a fun time.  Depending on how many guests are willing to
pay for the "feast" in advance...well.. there just may be some room for the
play!  I know our guild has never lost money (oops, once, about $150) and
has come out in the black for our Baorny.  And *that* is at a range of
$7.00-$15.00 a head...of course..we dont' serve lobster...
Olwen
Oh, Master A, did you get, and enjoy your Mircowave Pork Rinds??