[Sca-cooks] comfort foods and age

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jun 30 16:56:12 PDT 2002

Also sprach Laura C. Minnick:
>Oh my God! That can't be! _That_ has got to be unconstitutional, if
>anything is! Did they make you do other American Religious acts, like root
>for the Yankees? I hope you aren't scarred for life...
>
>'Lainie, suitably horrified
>-Slugs are far too dignified to Chicken Dance

I had heard of the Chicken Dance, but only witnessed it fairly
recently, at a wedding where the groom slipped the musicians a
hundred bucks to _forget_ to play the necessary tune... relatives of
the bride reminded them of the oversight, though, so the suffering
occurred anyway.

As I believe I mentioned to 'Lainie already, yes, it's true, you are
Evil if you don't root for the Yankees, "America's Team," and the
"Team of the Century." (Pfeh.)

Yesterday I was at Yankee Stadium ($200 worth of free tickets),
watching toddlers in their little Derek Jeter uniforms cry because
they simply couldn't comprehend how anyone could be so _mean_ to the
heroic Yankees as to actually dare to defeat them. (It was triffic!)
I felt guilty for almost a quarter of a second (especially when Mo
Vaughn of The Other, Semi-Reasonable New York Baseball Team trotted
out to his position for the bottom of the ninth inning looking
exactly like one of those pot-bellied pigs, not quite awakened from a
nice nap, and tossed the ball on several hops to the pitcher's mound
45 feet away as if he were just too tired to worry about the Yankees
or anything else) then looked around to see if any of the crying
toddlers had either a balloon I could pop (although I didn't have a
cigar on me to do this properly) or some candy I could steal. I mean,
since I'm Evil anyway, might as well do it right.

You know, much as I would hate to be thought to approve in any way of
any of the actions of the people who wrought so much suffering last
autumn, it's worth noting that round about September 12th or 13th,
some Palestinians in The West Bank were widely photographed burning
the effigy of a generic American, which bore, among other notes and
captions, a conspicuous NY Yankee logo. Sometimes the blind can be
really, really astute.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER