[Sca-cooks] Protein

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 1 03:52:19 PST 2002

Also sprach Robyn.Hodgkin at affa.gov.au:

>2. Sausages

If you have the ability to set up a gas barbequeue, then buying bulk
thin sausages and cooking them up is a good option.  You can also
precook them and serve 'em cold,

Jadwiga, this just reminded me. Do you have access to a decent
Eastern European butcher? (I kind of figure, with a large Ukrainian
community in your area, and there being a certain overlap between
Ukrainian and Polish foods, you may have access to a Polish
butcher... somebody has to make all those pierogies and siekana
[kielbasa] the little old Ukrainian ladies sell.) Ask him about
kabanosy, which is a thin, almost jerky-like, smoked Polish sausage.
It's similar to the commercial product Slim Jims, with the main
difference being that kabanosy is good. Basically it contains pork,
salt, pepper, sometimes a little garlic, and it's packed into
distinctive links that are about two feet long and about 1/2 an inch
thick, smoked until dry. I STR it is a relatively cheap sausage,
requires little or no prep for service (unwrap them?) and seems to be
pretty popular among the fighters who regularly steal my son's supply
that we bring for emergency rations at events... ;-)

By the way, Kiriel's mention of having the butcher make sausages to
spec with your own prepackaged spices is an excellent one. Many's the
time I've cranked out, by hand, 70 or 80 pounds of sausage, but I
don't think I'll be bothering with that as much, anymore.

Adamantius