[Sca-cooks] Dried meat in period?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Mar 1 09:19:53 PST 2002

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 XvLoverCrimvX at aol.com wrote:

> So with the talk of jerky (which is making me hungry for the dried meat) in
> the air, who has a good jerky recipe with instructions on how to make jerky.
> Mmm, if i'm not busy, I make some myself if I can find a recipe.
>
> Misha

Here's our recipe. Contains only ingredients that can in theory be
documented to England in the 13th century. We're obsessive that way.

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp honey
1 tsp garlic bits
1 tsp dried onion
1 tsp dried mustard
1/2 tsp or thereabouts black pepper

Marinate sliced meat overnight or longer, dehydrate. Yum. The other half
stores his in his fridge, but this has lasted all through Pennsic while
living in a linen bag. I prefer more pepper and mustard, myself.

Margaret