[Sca-cooks] OT: Period name for a tree??

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 5 09:08:23 PST 2002

I have a question I hope some one of you might be able to answer.  I appreciate your patience as this is definitely not a food topic...though the chests that are  made from the wood from this tree could hold food...yeah, I know it's reach!  But I fiture that as much knowledge about various and sundry things that this list represents might help me find an answer!

I have been trying for the past several years to register an heraldic title for myself as a past principal herald of Atlantia.  I've tried numerous permutations of "dragon", including both Japanese and Chinese translations, adding adjectives and translating them (thought "Golden Dragon" was cool...sounds like a Chinese restaurant), but the MidRealm refuses to allow me to use any of them.  Not even a dragon part ("Dragon Claw"...from my mon).  So, in a fit if desperation, I decided to use the English translation of my nickname, "Kiri"..."Paulownia".  We all loved it, especially the cant on my name.  However, I'm now being told that it is not a period word...that it came into use in the 19th century and came from the name of a Russian Princess, somebody or other Pavlovna.  Can anyone either give me documentation for the word in period...or the Chinese name for the tree...I'd really rather not try for "Kiri" herald, for obvious reasons.

Any help you all can give would be appreciated!!

Kiri