[Sca-cooks] any suggestions for soltie?

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Mar 6 11:02:54 PST 2002

Olwen wrote:

>OK the Bright Hills cooks are at it again in April.  The time and theme for
>that feast will be recipes from the era and area of King Rene'.  In other
>words, late 1400's French cookery.  No one at the meeting made any
>suggestions about a soltie and I have no idea, being not french and way long
>dead by the 1400's (I'm 9th centruy Welsh/Saxon).

Look at _Du Fait de Cuisine_ (1420, French--not too far off what you
want); my translation is on Cariadoc's website and there exists a
professional one by Terrance Scully. It describes some subtleties or
"entremets" which are elaborate past anything I've seen or heard of
at SCA feasts.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook