[Sca-cooks] Saunders

Smith, Judith JLSmith at SCDAH.STATE.SC.US
Fri Mar 15 06:24:54 PST 2002

Happy Orange and Green weekend (depending on your proclivity),

Adding another experience with the use of saunders. I have used it for food
coloring on several occasions. I used it to color hard boiled eggs, seems I
found some kind of documentation for that, but won't swear to it cause I
can't remember where I found it. I made a color bath for the eggs (warm
water and saunders) results are an orangie yellow. I did find that it has to
be well stirred(or shaken) for this method or you end up with little dots of
the undiluted powder. Warmer water does better than cool water. There is no
distictive taste that I could find. I got my last saunders from the Pepper's
Guild at Pennsic a couple of years ago. I will check with one of our natural
food stores here to see if they have it on their list. They do have
galengal, but it must be purchased in 1 pound bags to get it (not an
overwhelming favorite evidently). I like to use it, especially in sauces, so
I bought a pound. It makes a good 12th Night gift for fellow cooks or those
just starting out in medieval cooking.
Judith