[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #1562 - 14 msgs

Osmondia at aol.com Osmondia at aol.com
Sun Mar 17 11:29:27 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/17/02 10:05:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> The thread on sweeteners in sports drinks reminded me of a product being
> developed about 10 years ago that was made from grain, termed "left-hand
> sugar".

What they are referring to is Sucrolose...this is sold under the name of
Splenda.  It was discovered almost 20 years ago in Great Britain.  This has
been available in Europe, Austalia and New Zealand for around 10  years.  It
has been available in the US for 3-4 years.
The reason they referred to is as left hand sugar has something to do with
the one molecule they repalce.  I do not have enough sceintific knowledge to
be able to explain it beyond that.