[Sca-cooks] Virtual Siege Cookery Contest 1 --- An Unusual Solution by Lise

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Sun Mar 24 11:43:42 PST 2002

Here is Lise's solution:

My Seige Cookery Feast
Serves: 202

1. Take 20 serving trays, and use the lard to grease up each one. Chop up
the small cutlet and the organ meat into 75 tiny pieces and put 3 or 4
pieces in each of the serving bowls (some on the rim, sometimes just
outside the bowl). Sprinkle your herbs into the bowls too.

2. Onto twelve cutting boards, lay twelve knives. Turn the bread into bread
crumbs (reserving two slices) and sprinkle the cutting boards liberally.

3. Whip the cream, flavoring it with a T of the sugar and a bit of the
gingerroot. Cook the rice, and cut the grapes in half. Cut two thin slices
from the middle of the orange, then dice up all the rest and mix in the
raisins. Mix all together. Smear it in the bottom of twelve serving bowls.
Reserve a small portion.

4. Heat up three cups of water, and add in the sugar, the rest of the
gingerroot. Boil together and then cool. Place in the bottom of a huge bowl
and stick two of the orange slices onto the side of the bowl.

5. Chop and cook the carrots and celery with the milk thickened with a bit
of the flour, and a pinch of salt. Smear or dribble into a dozen soup
terrines.

6. When guests arrive, exclaim the following:
"It's about time! You were due yesterday! We waited and waited and then we
finally ate. In fact, we've been eating SINCE yesterday and only just
finished everything up. By the way, there are only two of you? We must have
misunderstood. We thought you were bringing your entire party and estimated
200. But don't worry. All that food didn't go to waste. We fed it to our
troops. They were getting tired of chicken and beef every night and really
enjoyed the pork for a change.

We began our meal with bowl after bowl of cream of carrot soup. It's all
gone now, but feel free to taste the little bit left in this bowl. Then we
had massive quantities of herb-crusted pork roast, as you can see and even
smell! Our troops loved it -- a nice break from chicken and beef, which
they've been up to their ears in lately.

For dessert, we had an excellent ambrosia made from rice, raisins, fruit
and whipped cream. Oh, it was heaven. Again, we ate it all up, except for
this little bit.

But don't be glum. We do have a little ginger-orange punch left in the
bottom of this punch bowl for you. It is tasty, and it was so attractive
with orange slices floating on the top. Let me get you some. And Cook saw
the two of you coming across the prairie, so he's whipped up a little late
supper for you. Actually, it's leftovers from breakfast."

At this point, have Cook come out, liberally dusted with the remaining
flour, and set down two small plates, onto which have been placed the two
eggs, scrambled, the bacon, fried crisp, and two slices of bread, toasted.
He then staggers out, apparently exhausted from cooking for a party of 200.
Tell your guests "Bon appetit" and pass the salt.

Lise Pyles
bpyles at austarnet.com.au