[Sca-cooks] I quit,

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Thu Mar 28 06:49:54 PST 2002

In a message dated 3/28/02 12:08:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
melcnewt at netins.net writes:

> I for one hope he or someone in his predicament does file a lawsuit. It is
> disgraceful that Peers of any type would not offer to help Nicholas in and
> out of unaccessible places. It is also disgraceful that his local area
> groups wouldn't at least try to make a ramp for him. A sheet of plywood and
> someone to help to push or at least steady him would be acceptable. We are
> way to unforgiving in the SCA of the mobility challenged, if you don't have
> two legs it seems at times we don't want you.

thorbjorn, Being a member of Muiredach's shire, and his friend. Some of us
HAVE made efforts. But the individuals who try to help are ostracised from
their own groups. That's not right either. But there is also the issue of
pride. When Muiredach went to 12th night, the ramp made for he, and others to
use, was too steep and too long for practical use. He would have had to ask
for assistance which would have been rather demeaning. Muiredach has fought
long and hard to make people aware of the challenges that we of the Society
who are not physically challenged, take for granted. Upper level sites which
may or may not have an elevator that functions properly, camping events,
uneven terrain for outdoors practices.

Muiredach, please reconsider. You have friends here and across the world. We
would sorely miss your contributions. You have been a joy to have around at
practices and you bring so much more than just awareness of people with
disabilities. I know that there are always going to be problems, but put down
the pride from time to time and *let* us help you, however it is needed. What
is more important? That you enjoy a hobby with people who enjoy your company?
Or holding onto something that is only going to make you angrier everytime
you encounter it? I'm not saying stop fighting. I would never say that. You
know me, fighting all the way, even when it's futile. Time and awareness are
the only things that are going to force changes. I think you just haven't
given it enough time yet. But that's me.

I will always be here to help in whatever way is needed. Try to remember that
willl you?

Your Friend,
Finnebhir Moon Dancer
Rokkhealden Shire