[Sca-cooks] Rose Vinegar?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 30 21:14:38 PST 2002

I was looking over some of the recipes of Ruperto de Nola translated
by Lady Brighid ni Ciarain in Stefan's Florilegium. I can across the
followingrecipe (i was searching for garlic recipes - or rather -
recipes featuring garlic). Then i noticed one of the ingredients was
ROSE VINEGAR. Anyone know how this was made?

----- begin recipe -----

104.    SAUCE WHICH IS CALLED PINE NUT DISH OF GARLIC
SALSA QUE SE DICE PIÑONADA DE AJOS

You will take a pound of pine nuts, and another of peeled almonds,
and grind them very well, each by itself, and then both together.
And cook two heads of garlic in a little pot with broth of hen or
mutton; and then when the garlic is well-cooked, grind it with the
pine nuts and with the well-peeled almonds; first [grind] the garlic,
and when it is all well-ground, grind also with it a little grated
cheese, which is very good, with eight or nine hard-boiled egg yolks;
and when everything is well-ground, blend it with the broth of hen,
and mutton.  And set it to cook in a very clean pot; and cast into it
one or two ounces of sugar, and a little bit of rose vinegar tempered
with rosewater in which crushed cloves, and ginger, and cinnamon, and
pepper have been steeping overnight; and cook it until it is cooked
and quite thick; and prepare dishes, and cast sugar and cinnamon over
it.

----- end recipe -----

Thanks for any info,

Anahita