[Sca-cooks] smoked fishies

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Mar 31 22:44:26 PST 2002

Phillipa asked:
> Can we talk about the smoked fishes I used to eat now Master A?  (my mouth is
> watering!  Can we huh? Pulllleeeezzzz!
>
> I've now started thinking about smoked sable, smoked white fish, smoked
> salmon..... YUMMY!!!!!

Yeah, if you can tell me where I can get some? Preferably smoked as
a preservative and not just for flavor. I can get smoked salmon here,
although it's not cheap. But I'm not sure how much it resembles any
medieval smoked fish since it is smoked so light that it still needs
to be refrigerated.

Other than that, I've seen only one other type of smoked fish, and
again that one required refrigeration also. I bought some of that
one several times until Central Market stopped selling it.

I can get various smoked oysters and fish in cans, but again, that
uses an additional process for the real preservation.

I can get dried fish in the oriental markets.

Hmmm. And I imagine that the "smoked sable" you mention is a fish,
right? Not the animal raised for it's fur.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net