[Sca-cooks] Steak (was Big Eggs)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Mar 3 03:44:15 PST 2002

Also sprach Edouard de Bruyerecourt:

>My brother went through SERE (Survival Evasion Resistance and Escape)
>training in the USAF, basically how to survive and avoid capture if shot
>down behind lines, then resist interrogation and escape if captured). He
>said he developed a taste for raw meat during that, while sneaking a
>little raw beef kabob to nibble on. He then said he'd only eat cockroach
>when he was really hungry.

At the other end of the spectrum, my older brother took the survival
training/test part of this, also for the USAF; I'm not sure if
training in the other stuff went with it. He, a sort of "classic
skinny nerd", found that he was being tracked through the woods by
some large, white beast that he could never quite get a good look at.
Large, white, and left a wide path through the flatter areas. It also
left spoor in its wake: paper sacks of hot, slightly greasy
hamburgers.

He finally spotted the beast; it was a white Cadillac sedan with
little American flags on the front fenders and various USAF and USDoD
ID... it turned out that some general was keeping an eye on him.
Seems they really didn't want to lose that boy; he was a promising
engineering student.

He also found that many people in that situation return dehydrated
not because of a lack of water, but because the standard issue
water-purification tablets lend such a horrid taste to the water that
few people can stand to drink it. (Of course, if they can eat
cockroaches, maybe that's another story.) Steve brought along a
packet of a commercial confection product known as "Fizzies"
(essentially a sweetened, flavored Alka-Seltzer tablet, without the
aspirin). He returned, full of hamburgers and purified water, to
discover one of the Staff cars that seemed to have an unusual amount
of mud on tires and baseboards.

Of course, he never did end up crashing in hostile territory, but for
all I know he still has some Fizzies.

Adamantius