[Sca-cooks] Steak (was Big Eggs)

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at mind.net
Sun Mar 3 22:54:06 PST 2002

Also sprach Adamantius:

> He also found that many people in that situation return dehydrated
> not because of a lack of water, but because the standard issue
> water-purification tablets lend such a horrid taste to the water that
> few people can stand to drink it. (Of course, if they can eat
> cockroaches, maybe that's another story.) Steve brought along a
> packet of a commercial confection product known as "Fizzies"
> (essentially a sweetened, flavored Alka-Seltzer tablet, without the
> aspirin). He returned, full of hamburgers and purified water, to
> discover one of the Staff cars that seemed to have an unusual amount
> of mud on tires and baseboards.

I read a book on Merrill's Marauders active in SE Asia during WWII. The
Army supplied them with a new product: dehydrated lemonade crystals
(just add water!). I think it was supposed to make the water more
palatable, but after months in the jungle drinking this stuff, they were
sick of it. One guy mentioned the bewildered and surprised reaction of
his wife, to his reaction of disgust and horror, when after he returned
home, she showed them this new product now available in stores: lemon
flavoured Koolaid.

Edouard