[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list was Re: Irish Stew recipe

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Mon Mar 4 04:55:34 PST 2002

> About this rice in almond milk -- did it simply burn, or did it
> refuse to cook until you raised the heat up to maximum and cooked it
> for two hours, _after_ which it burned? I ask because in cooking rice
> in almond milk from a raw state, the oil component of the almond milk
> seems to create a waterproof shield on each grain of rice, preventing
> it from absorbing water. Most recipes (that I've seen) for rice in
> almond milk, such as blankmanger, call for the rice to be cooked in
> water until what modern cooks would consider "done", then it is
> recooked in the almond milk to a risotto-ish consistency.

The rice was parboiled in plain water for about 7 minutes, then dumped out
and the almond milk was added. It was then cooked for about 20 minutes, by
which time it was burned, despite almost constant stirring. Next time I will
NOT use a 20 qt stock pot - if I really NEED that much rice, I'll do it in
two or three smaller vessels - you just CAN'T keep that much stuff in
constant motion without a motor. :-)