[Sca-cooks] Honey Butter? No! No!

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 16:47:09 PST 2002

--- Dan Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> wrote:

 I guess it
> can't be any more period than honey butter and it is
> rather savory.

Honey butter is perfectly period, in fact the earliest
reference I've seen is to its usage about 470 CE in
the Anthimus letter (thanks, Cariadic ;-). The problem
with honey butter, or for that matter, with any other
butter, is that we have no references to it being used
as a condiment with bread. In Anthimus, it was
mentioned as a medicine, specific for lung diseases,
which was why I made my comment yesterday about
letting them bring their own medicine ;-)

As far as garlic butter goes, I'm unaware of it being
made in period, but like honeybutter, if it had been
made, and used, say, for chilblains, that still
doesn't show that they smeared it on bread and ate it.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,