[Sca-cooks] Imaginary list was Re: Irish Stew recipe

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 5 09:01:54 PST 2002

Serena wrote:

> Actually, I did realise that he was being...sarcastic...but I also think
> that there is an imaginary list going on out there. The good gentles who
> have been in the SCA for longer than I automatically know of what dishes He
> is speaking of, but I, being but an egg, do not.

You can't go wrong with the texts and commentary in Cariadoc's Miscellany.  At
least you'll stay out of trouble on THIS list.
<http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html>

> I have several times searched diligently through a manuscript and
> "discovered" an interesting recepit only to have my bubble burst upon
> learning that particular dish had been done to death.

Long ago, a friend of mine, a native speaker of modern Castilian Spanish, pored
over a Medieval Spanish cookery book for many hours in preparation for our
Spanish Twelfth Night and found many familiar things.  She slaved over one
tricky translation for a quarter-hour just to find that she had documented
Cinnamon Toast.

Selene, Caid