[Sca-cooks] Muslims with Guns, was: Irish Stew recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Mar 5 09:20:44 PST 2002

Also sprach johnna holloway:
>I am playing catch up with the e-mail
>due to March is reading activities...
>How did we end up with a subject heading
>that reads:
>Re: [Sca-cooks] Muslims with Guns, was: Irish Stew recipe
>
>Isn't it time to drop the Irish Stew or
>did the Irish Stew postings drive people
>to the NRA and to arms? I mean really---

My fault. (Isn't it usually my fault?) I mentioned the dread Islamic
Vikings With Guns (weren't they also eating chocolate?) phenomenon
you sometimes encounter in the SCA in which items which would be
considered historically out-of-place when juxtaposed, _become_
juxtaposed because all the individual elements are _period_.

In other words, since Vikings are period, Islam is period, and guns
are period, aren't Islamic Vikings with Guns period? They must be!

What this has to do with Irish Stew is that there was some talk in
favor of substitution of items known to be period for items known to
be not-period in Irish Stew (for example, grains for potatoes).

My point was that knowing these grains to be period does not, in
itself, guarantee historical accuracy of the finished dish, because
it could be like Islamic Vikings with Guns...

Adamantius