[Sca-cooks] Marzipan variations...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Mar 6 03:54:46 PST 2002

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Are you thinking of marchpanes?
>Or something more modern?
>--Maire, marzipan fanatic, but don't tell Olwen....<g>
>
>Philippa Alderton wrote:
>>
>>  Margali asked me to post the following:
>>
>>  What is the name of the cookies which are marzipan on
>  > a dough base? She thinks they're german.....

Are we talking about the Sabina Welserin (I think) recipe calling for
the marzipan mixture to be formed on top of wafers/oubleys, which are
overlapped to the correct overall size? (There is an extant modern
German tradition of baking things on top of wafers; they're available
commercially in various German-interest shops, such as German butcher
shops, and seem to be thinner even than pizelles, sometimes with a
basic waffle pattern.)

Adamantius