[Sca-cooks] Lenten oils, was Honey Butter?

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 08:30:12 PST 2002

This brings up a question I had.

What did people in the north use as cooking fats during Lent? They
couldn't use either butter or lard, which I think were otherwise the
standards. The only oil I know about in period (my knowledge not being
extensive) is olive oil, and while that might have been available, how
common would it have been?

Of course, this actually raises another question. As I write this, I
realize I take it for granted that they needed to brown onions, sauté
some foods, pan fry fish...  Did they, actually? I haven't read many
recipes yet, but it occurs to me that I don't think I have encountered
these techniques much, if at all, yet. (Which means nothing, as I said,
I have read very little so far. And I may just be forgetting something.)

Anne