[Sca-cooks] Orange Marmalade (was re:from Stefhan)

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 6 11:15:01 PST 2002

The Marmalade I made a year ago was made of quince, wine, honey and spices.  Seems that it was from 2 15th Century Cookry Bookes.  I might be mistaken, might have been Forme of Curye, but most definitely pre-1600 in origin.  The result is more like a paste than a jelly like SMuckers (tm) (my 1st shot was actually akin to osidian . . . .must remeber to watch cooking sugar, students), which was often molded in marmalade boxes.  You can get a great set from the pectin in quince without white sugar, and a lovely ruby color without adding coloring.

Oranges appear in the texts c.1450 that Scully used for Neapolitan Cusine, as well as others.  I'm not advocating sweet oranges in 15th century from this, but definitly use of oranges was known in Naples.

niccolo difrancesco