[Sca-cooks] OT - Big news!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 6 15:30:49 PST 2002

Vincent Cuenca wrote:
>  I am very proud to announce that there will soon be a new member of the
>  family.

Congratulations! Babies are amazing. I am NOT an Earth Mother type
and i don't think all babies are precious little miracles, after all,
with well over a billion people on the planet, babies are normal, not
miraculous.

What was cool was watching the kid learn how to use the body,
experimenting with body parts, noises, etc.

And be sure to spend as much time as you can with it in the first 2
or 3 years. They grow up really fast, and those first few years are a
time of rapid changes, although for the first few months it won't be
so obvious :-) Seeing your kid learn to roll over, sit up, speak,
take its first steps, etc. all the mile stones, as well as watching
its personality become apparent (and they are *born* with a
personality - don't fall for that "babies are black slates" BS - it
is scientifically untrue, and if you're paying attention to your kid,
it will be obvious that it is just plain a false assumption)

Of course, don't forget to love them a whole lot and take pleasure in
their being.

>  Now we have to decide on names,

As a voice herald learning book herald stuff, i'm not even gonna go there :-)

>  what color to paint the nursery,

Well, i go for non-sexist stuff. My daughter's room was white. We
painted various shelf units white on the outside with the insides of
the shelves primary red, yellow, and blue, and a good rich secondary
green (sorry, 'Lainie, i'm just not fond of orange :-). Her crib was
natural wood with primary colored balloons on the foot, the bedding
was white with primary colors and green. When she outgrew the crib, i
got here a bunk bed set also in natural wood and had sheets that
still were more or less in primary colors - white with geometric
patterns on them, although there were some other colors, too. Goes
with most children's toys except hyper-pink Barbie's.

>  what persona the kid is going to have, all that.

Uh, well, for the time being, a persona as the child of you and your SO?

Sorry, i can't help with the Vietnamese cookbook, though, as that
part of my library is still in storage.

Anahita