[Sca-cooks] onion soup not period?

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 7 06:49:34 PST 2002

Remember, when I posted a while back about making a brown stock (or, in
my case, not making a really brown stock) for soup, Muirdach gently
explained to me that you don't use brown stock for soup anyway. You
explained to him that us weird Americans do...

So, what does that say about the question of brown stock in soup in
period Europe? If it isn't standard now, at least in fine French
cooking, is the problem not that it didn't happen, but that we (perhaps
incorrectly) think it should? Am I making sense?

I know I've seen a modern recipe for onion soup that called for chicken
stock, which was supposed to be from a French restaurant.

Anne