[Sca-cooks] MK cooks

Randy Goldberg MD goldberg at bestweb.net
Thu Mar 7 16:51:55 PST 2002

> The only really immutable goals of the SCA (and the first is
> unstated, AFAIK, but obvious) is to 1) have fun 2) with the world
> prior to the seventeenth century. This is why I get so crazy when
> people start talking about what is permissible. It's as if they're
> worried about social pressure to not do something that they're
> contemplating. Well, that is unfortunately a reality; as with the
> law, you can pretty much do whatever you want to, but there may be
> unfortunate consequences to be considered, and it isn't necessarily
> the fault of the evil rulemakers that this situation exists.

Christos (my boyfriend) and I had an argument on this subject not long ago.
As I mentioned, I recently served as Assistant Chief Cook (and Bottle
Washer) for an MSR event. I expressed PRIVATELY to Christos that I didn't
like the way the Chief Cook was doing some of the recipes. There are mundane
shortcuts, and then there are shortcuts... and I thought using McCormick's
Brown Gravy Mix was just a little too mundane for my comfort. I basically
said that *I* wouldn't do it that way, if I were in charge. If I'm going to
autocrat a kitchen (I detest the neologism "feast-o-crat"), it's going to be
with documented recipes; technique/technology short cuts are fine (I'm not
about to try to feed 60-80 people cooking over a wood fire), but the
ingredients and recipes will be as authentic as I can contrive. While the
feasters might not know or care about the difference, *I* would be
displeased with *MYSELF* if I did any less. Now, that being said, I was NOT
in charge, and like any good sous-chef, I did what I was told, and made the
recipes the way I was given them. I was not trying to denigrate the Chief
Cook or her plans; I simply said I would not have been willing to be known
as responsible for that particular feast (which, by the way, is why I
refused to be recognized in court after the meal)... and I could NOT get
Chris to see the distinction. She did it HER way, and I helped. MY way
(note, I do not say the RIGHT way) would have been otherwise. Her way was
not necessarily wrong - and everyone RAVED about the food - it just wasn't
how I would have done it.

Do I make any sense at all?

Avraham