[Sca-cooks] Lenten oils, was Honey Butter?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Mar 7 22:36:21 PST 2002

Anne replied to my message with:
> What did people in the north use as cooking fats during Lent? They
> couldn't use either butter or lard, which I think were otherwise the
> standards. The only oil I know about in period (my knowledge not being
> extensive) is olive oil, and while that might have been available, how
> common would it have been?

Olive oil wasn't that common since it had to be imported from down
south. Hence, the disgruntlement between the north and the south.

I'm not sure which of the other oils would be acceptable during Lent,
but you might find some of the comments in this file in the FOOD
section useful:
cooking-oils-msg  (40K)  9/28/01    Period cooking and food oils.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cooking-oils-msg.html

I wonder if the Vatican owned a bunch of olive groves? Or was in the
export business?

Stefan

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net