[Sca-cooks] New Books of Possible Interest

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Mar 8 04:39:30 PST 2002

Hmm, probably should have made that clearer.  Lindschooten is referring to
"chaa" or an infusion made from Camillia sinensis.  The first imports of the
dried leaf into England weren't made until the early 17th Century.  Garraway
was selling tea as a beverage (and perhaps as dry leaf).

Prior to the 17th Century, "tea" in England almost certainly meant "herbal
tisane."

Bear

>My guess to would be that they mean a steeped
>or boiled infusion, but it could be the description
>is wrong too.
>If I can lay my hands on the book, I'll check it
>out and let people know exactly what is meant.
>Johnna Holloway  Johnnae
>
>Terry Decker wrote:>
>> The first mention of tea in English is in Lindschooten's Travels, 1597.
The
>> first imports into England were in the early 1600s.  The first public
sale
>> of tea was at Thomas Garraway's coffee house in 1657.
>> > Bear
>> >I suspect they probably mean tisanes - what we would call "herbal
teas" -
>> >since, as you are no doubt aware, Camillia sinensis was unknown in
Britain
>> >until... hmmm, I forget the date, but quite late in our period, I
think.> >Avraham