[Sca-cooks] OT Bugs Bunny was rabbit eggs- correction...

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 8 11:36:13 PST 2002

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Also sprach Randy Goldberg MD:
> >  > > Nice tender wabbits, though.
> >>  >
> >>  > Adamantius, whose favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon is the one with the
> >>  > rival French chefs...
> >>
> >>  "Mmm! Hassenpfeffer! Strange- tastes like carrots!"

An interesting caricature of some Germanic-looking king, Hapsburg lips and all,
commenting "If I didn't know this was Hassenpfeffer, I would swear this was
carrots."

> >>  'Lainie  - whose favorite BB cartoon is the Barber of Seville one, with
> the fruit
> >>  salad on Elmer's head...

"The Rabbit of Seville".  I get my hubby to wash my hair and massage my scalp
really well by humming a passage from that -- I bet you know exactly what I
mean!  Not with his toes though. ;-)

> >Nope. Tied for first: "Duck season! Rabbit season! Duck season! Rabbit
> >season!" and "Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit!"
> >Avraham

[Several different cartoons] and "What's Opera, Doc?"

>the Braised Bunny ah lah Pierre?

A l'Antoine!  Vive la France!  Alouette, gentil alouette!

>Nichola

I interned at Hanna Barbera, typing cartoon voice scripts.  Was asked if I
wanted to audition for Smurfs [which dates that] but chickened out - much to my
chagrin NOW.

>But whose 2nd fav cartoon is "Coal Black and De Seben Dwarves".

Good gracious, when did a young person like you ever manage to see this
politically-incorrect hidden treasure?

> Not to be politically incorrect, _or_ to seem to speak ill of the
> dead or anything, but I was never a big fan of Chuck Jones's later
> version of Bugs (the one with the weird, unpleasantly and
> inappropriately soulful eyes, post-about 1955). Bob Clampett and Tex
> Avery, on the other hand...
>
> Adamantius
> _____________

We may have to agree to disagree there.  I'll agree that the Clampett wabbit was
a whole different critter than McKimson/Jones era.  I did love the amazing
facial expressions in Chuck Jones' characters - I accuse my dog Tegan of having
"Chuck Jones Eyes" when she is "hinting" for a handout.

Cartoon Network has a great animation history show on Sunday Nights called "Toon
Heads" that collects similarly-themed or otherwise connected animated shorts
into a half-hour with historical commentary.  That is where you can see "What's
Opera, Doc" in the same show with "Rabbit of Seville" and "Long-Haired Hare."
Other times, it will track the development of a specific character or animator,
all WB or MGM, clearly goodies from the Turner Net-owned archives. After this
show, they run a half-hour each of Tex Avery and Chuck Jones.  I wish they'd do
one on Bob Clampett, whose compendium of work reaches far beyond the Warner
Bros. milieu.  I went to a program at the Motion Picture Academy, years and
years ago when Clampett was old but still alive, and you would weep to see the
wonders.  Like, a pencil test for a ten-legged running beast from a never-done
animated version of Burroughs' Mars books.  [No food content here, but I'm just
glad to find someone else with whom I can talk animation arcana!]

Selene, Caid, deep in the heart of Hollywood