[Sca-cooks] onion soup not period?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Mar 8 15:04:34 PST 2002

Also sprach Harris Mark.S-rsve60:
>Avraham said:
>>>  I know I've seen a modern recipe for onion soup that called for chicken
>>>  stock, which was supposed to be from a French restaurant.
>
>>The recipe I have for French Onion Soup does, in fact, call for chicken
>>broth (NOT stock).
>
>Huh? I thought "broth" and "stock" were the same thing.

Not quite. In practical usage they can be interchangeable, but in
general broth/bouillion is something you _get_ when you cook meat in
water, wine, etc., and _stock_ is something you make from bones, meat
trimmings, aromatic vegetables, herbs, etc. Canned chicken broth is,
in theory, stock, but it tends not to have the gelatin content of
real stock.

There are exceptions to all these "rules", but generally speaking,
the above is about as apt a description as I've heard.

Adamantius