[Sca-cooks] halllloooooooooo?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Tue Mar 12 08:04:18 PST 2002

At 07:33 AM 3/12/02,Marilyn Traber said something like:
>anybody out there?
>
>i get the digest, but have gotten nothing so far today...
>
>i feel very abandoned ;-(
>margali

Ok, I've got a question. Is there a source for sesame leaf in America? I
was just in Seoul for a few days, and one of the really cool food
discoveries I made there was a cook it yourself bbq meal. The meat is
cooked on a charcoal grill set in the table, you then set it in red leaf
lettuce, or sesame leaf, smear with condiments and/or kimchee, add a dab of
rice, roll and munch.

The day after I got back I checked my local asian grocery that has EVERY
darn thing (anybody have a use for beef blood, pork blood, beef bile, or
beef fries?), and there are no sesame leaves there anywhere. That
particular shop was filipino oriented, so nobody had heard of sesame leaf.
I called a chinese oriented one with the same results.

I can, of course, just use red leaf lettuce, but sesame leaves have a
really yummy basil type flavor to them (and more texture than lettuce).

Regards,
Maggie MacD.
Calafia, Caid
(mka San Diego area, California)