RE [Sca-cooks] Butter

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Mar 14 07:47:42 PST 2002

> In other words, butter is a reasonable compromise as a table condiment in a
> northern European feast, even though we can not absolutely prove it was
> eaten.

None of the Janet Hinson translations of Le Menagier de Paris mention
butter on the table, but there's this tantalizing fragment:

"Arrangements for the wedding done by Master Helye in May, on a Tuesday;
dinner only for twenty bowls.
Platter: butter, none because it is a meat day. Item, cherries, none,
because none could be found; and so no platter.
Soups..."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa