[Sca-cooks] Roses

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 10:19:17 PST 2002

--- jemoore at firstam.com wrote:
> Now I'm probably asking a dumb question, but...
>
> Just recieved a book from dover <rose recipes from
> olden times> which is
> quite interesting, yet almost all the recipes are
> from 1650 on.
>
> Anyway...wondering what roses to use.  I have a lot
> of store bought roses
> which I have dried, but can I use those to make
> <sugar of roses> ( delights
> for ladies-hugh platt)

The problem with using store-bought roses, is that
unless they're specificly marked as food grade, they
may have been sprayed with various chemicals which are
not preferred dietary ingredients- at least, unless
you LIKE eating pesticides ;-)

Either buy food grade rose petals, or else grow your
own roses, and make sure you know what you put on
them. I got a pretty good stash of them from a friend
who grows roses, but they're into organic gardening-
depending on your friends and their real knowledge of
organic techniques, you may or may not want to use
theirs.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,