Subject: [Sca-cooks] AlternaSweet?

Kim Schab madchefla at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 20:44:07 PST 2002

And remember that for a bread you only end up with a
final temp at removal from the oven of 210 to 220 f
degrees...you have to find out what the actual temp
breakdown is at.  I'll ask my food scientist buddy if
he knows.

Al
--- Philippa Alderton <phlip_u at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Randy Goldberg MD <goldberg at bestweb.net> wrote:
>
> > > I can tolerate Nutrasweet- until Margali turned
> me
> > on
> > > to Splenda, that had been my sugar substitute of
> > > choice, on those rare occasions when I drank
> diet
> > > anything, but I actually can't tell the
> difference
> > > between Splenda and regular sugar when I've used
> > it in
> > > foods, so I'm happy to use it for
> > something
> > > for Margali. I did do a taste test, with it
> plain,
> > vs
> > > some real sugar, and it seemed to me that the
> > Splenda
> > > was somewhat sweeter per volume, so I've just
> made
> > > mental note to use less when I sub it in a
> normal
> > > recipe.
>
> > Can you bake with Splenda? Does it have the same
> > kitchen properties as
> > regular sugar?
>
> Baking with it is fine- if you remember, I used it
> as
> the granulated sugar in my chocolatl chip cookies,
> so
> there'd be fewer carbs in them for Margali's
> low-carb
> diet, and, discussing it tonight, she'd told me that
> it worked well in any other baking type recipe she's
> used. It comes in both the packets like the ones you
> see in restaurants, and in bulk, like regular sugar.
> Using it in hot drinks is fine too. But, you can't
> use
> it in candy- the temps are high enough, I presume,
> that it breaks it down into non-preferred fractions,
> because Margali said that it wouldn't imitate
> sugar's
> texture and chemical properties in that sort of
> thing.
>
> I just checked on the box, and it recommended adding
> it at the end of cooking, where applicable, so that
> also leads me to suspect chemical breakdown at
> higher
> temps
>
> > > It's kinda like the great vitamin hustle- if
> > you're
> > > basicly healthy and eating a varied and
> reasonably
> > > well-balanced diet to begin with, vitamin
> > supplements
> > > will either poison you if they're one of the
> ones
> > you
> > > can't easily excrete, or be excreted, if you
> take
> > them
> > > in excess of your bodily needs. Either way,
> > Madison
> > > Avenue has sold another product.
>
> > *BINGBINGBING* We have a winner! I *WISH* I could
> > get my patients to
> > understand this! Of course, 90-odd percent of
> > Americans DON'T get a
> > sufficiently balanced diet, so I do believe a
> [...]

=====
"Optimism is a force multiplier."  Colin Powell

Always remember, stressed is just desserts spelled backwards :)