[Sca-cooks] Cariadoc quandry

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 15 21:36:47 PST 2002

It may be that you found it to be Alcohol soluable (wine/mead has a good bit of that in it).  I have had some challenge getting it to supend in just water, but persistance will give you some level of success.

niccolo difrancesco

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:

>2. Sandalwood (saunders). See Forme of Cury (circa 1390), Chiquart's
'On
>Cookery'. My understanding is that saunders is fat soluble. Without
fat, it
>may lie in globules in a liquid

Huh?  I've been able to get it to dissolve in water as I used some in
my last batch of mead.  One thing I have noticed is that it is a very
dry and finely divided powder and is VERY prone to static attraction.
If I place a dry teaspoon in the jar, powder hangs off the end of the
edge of the spoon like iron filings on a magnet.  If you stir saunders
into water vigourously then you break the attraction and it dissolves
well.  It coloured my mead beautifully.

Cheers,

Drake.